Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Hold Me Jesus

I don't really have a lot to share in this blog, but I wanted to share the lyrics to a song that I have loved for a while and before I do that I thought I would kind of share the back story.

I think it is interesting how one thing can lead to another which leads to another which leads to another.

Case in point, about four or five days ago I was listening to an interview with Phil Stacey, a former American Idol contestant and he mentioned the song HOLD ME JESUS by the late Rich Mullins. I love that song so much. I have heard it on radio over the years and every time I would hear the song it just resonated with me.
Anyway, after hearing that interview with Phil Stacey I went to the computer and looked the song HOLD ME JESUS up on You Tube and watched Rich Mullins sing the song. Of course, that led me to Google the lyric, which led me to researching a tiny bit about Rich Mullins' life.
Rich Mullins actually died in 1997 in a tragic vehicle accident. For those not familiar with Rich Mullins he was a Christian songwriter/singer. Some of his songs have been powerfully used to minister to so many including yours truly.
He wrote AWESOME GOD, CREED, HOLD ME JESUS, IF I STAND, MY DELIVERER, PRAISE TO THE LORD and many more songs that many may or may not be familiar with.
After doing all this research and looking all of these things up I went back to You Tube and there was a documentary about his life and one of his concerts in which he actually shared the circumstances for writing HOLD ME JESUS (the song I had originally You Tubed)
After watching the concert and documentary I realized that Rich Mullins was a guy that was willing to share honestly and openly about his struggles and failures and allow others to see that it was God's grace and mercy in his life that was what was the beautiful thing.

Rich Mullins said he wrote this song after an all night struggle in Amsterdam. He said on the concert tape I saw on You Tube that he wrote it as a prayer. I encourage you to You Tube the song and even the concert if you get a chance.

HOLD ME JESUS
Well sometimes my life just don't make sense at all
When the mountains look so big
And my faith just seems so small

Chorus
So hold me Jesus 'cause I'm shaking like a leaf
You have been King of my glory
Won't You be my Prince of Peace

And I wake up in the night and feel the dark
It's so hot inside my soul
I swear there must be blisters on my heart

Chorus
So hold me Jesus, 'cause I'm shaking like a leaf
You have been King of my glory
Won't You be my Prince of Peace

Surrender don't come natural to me
I'd rather fight You for something I don't really want
Than to take what You give that I need
And I've beat my head against so many walls
Now I'm falling down, I'm falling on my knees

And the Salvation Army band is playing this hymn
And Your grace rings out so deep
It makes my resistance seem so thin

Chorus
So hold me Jesus 'cause I'm shaking like a leaf
You have been King of my glory
Won't You be my Prince of Peace

Can you relate? I certainly can.

No comments:

Post a Comment