Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Overflow

A quick update on Bobby. We went to Vanderbilt today to meet with our doctor and for his second chemo. Both went very well except for the slight frustration of having to wait 2 hours to see the doctor and then of course, that put us way behind on the chemo.
Bobby takes chemo every 3 weeks. He did quite well with the first round. He had somewhat minor side effects. Some nausea at the beginning, a couple of slight headaches at the beginning, a churning stomache a few times, and losing hair, plus a few other minor things. Overall, it wasn't too bad. We thought it went pretty well.
By the way, I am not sharing anything about Bobby with you that he has not given me permission to share.


This is one of those times when I sooooo wish I had an amazing gift of expression. I am not eloquent enough to express what I feel and want to say, but dad gum it (as Bobby would say) I am going to give it my best shot.

As I type this, I soooo wish you could see inside my heart and mind. There are no words to express the gratitude I feel for the outpouring of kindness, love, and support that we have and are presently receiving.

I said when I started this blog that I would never use any one's name without their permission, but it's a woman's right to change her mind or that's what I've always been told. :)

Having said that, if you see your name in here and you want it removed just give me a holler and I'll consider your request. :)

Back to the gratitude. I don't think there has been a day go by since we started this journey that we have not received a call, card, e-mail, facebook message, or visit from family or friend or even strangers to encourage us.

Every single time someone tells me they are praying for us or thinking of us or tell Bobby "so and so" I do my dad gum (as Bobby would say) best to tell him. I try extra hard not to forget. It is such a blessing for us to FEEL the love from soooooo many. I have said it several times, but it is the truth, it is soooo humbling.

I am sure the soooo's are getting on some of y'all's nerves, but you will just have to DEAL, because like I said I am not that great at expressing myself. But I digress.


Back to the gratitude.

Here is just a random sampling of some of the blessings that have been poured out on us in the last 36 hours only:

Bobby's uncle came by and delivered one of his favorite meals from Bobby's aunt. She has fixed this meal for him 4 or 5 times lately. The woman can COOK.

Last night Bobby was gone to the basketball game and while he was gone two former football players at separate times dropped by to see him. I hated he wasn't here, but he later talked to them by phone. One even came bearing a cake. Not just any cake, but a beautiful and I found out when he left,delicious butterfinger cake all wrapped up fancy with ribbon and cellophane with an encouraging message and scripture attached.

Three friends that used to coach with Bobby called last night, two called here and one called him on his cell. A man named Steve from Texas who is friends with Barrett and Katie(our friends) called Bobby. Steve went through lymphoma himself and has been a HUGE encouragement to Bobby. Steve also sent us a book and DVD. The book and DVD have been encouraging to us. THANKS, STEVE. Did I mention, we don't even know Steve.

I came home from Vanderbilt tonight about 8:00 and got on facebook shortly thereafter to find several messages from friends and family who said they had been thinking and or praying for us today. I cannot tell you the number of people who tell us they are praying for us. It is once again soooo humbling. I had 3 live chats before I started writing this blog from friends encouraging me and just letting me know they are praying and thinking of us. One was a friend from college who just found out tonight about Bobby.

A friend who used to coach with Bobby came all the way to Vanderbilt today to surprise Bobby and spend time with him while he took chemo. Thanks again, Chad.

All the coaches have been so amazing and supportive.

Phone calls from our family and friends are just a constant and welcome blessing and help.

Like I said that is just a random sampling of some of the wonderful blessings in the last 36 hours that make this journey easier for us.

We all know the Beatles' song, "I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends." How true that is.

I am so thankful that God has put people in our lives that are the hands and feet of Jesus.


Oh, how I pray that Bobby and I will be that as well.














No comments:

Post a Comment