Thursday, January 21, 2010

Special Day

This is the first time that I have sat down to blog and I didn't really know exactly which direction I was going to go.

Today is a special day. It's Bobby's birthday. He's going to KILL ME for telling y'all that. I didn't really have anything in particular to write, but because it's Bobby's birthday I just felt a need to write, so we will see what develops.

Who would have "thunk" when we met in 1979 in college that we would be on the journey we are now on? When you are young and when you are in that naive stage of thinking, things like lymphoma don't enter your mind or they didn't enter mine.

I tried about 2 weeks ago to find a copy of our wedding vows. I have one somewhere, I think. I looked where I thought it was and it wasn't there and so I am not sure I even have a copy, but I do remember our vows were the very traditional vows that you have heard many many times and many of you have vowed yourself.

I remember "to honor and cherish in sickness and in health until death we do part." Maybe not in that exact phrasing, but that was in there.

Sickness and in health. We basically went a little over 26 years in the HEALTH and now we're dealing with the SICK. I must say it is not what I "signed up for." I was praying the other night in one of those times when Bobby did not feel that well and I just told God that this is not what I "signed up for."

Just as I was typing this, I realize it IS what I "signed up for." Remember my vows, "in SICKNESS and in HEALTH."

In that movie that many of us LOVE "Steel Magnolias" there is that great line that says, " I'd rather have 30 minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special."

Well, I've had way more than 30 minutes of wonderful. Bobby and I talk sometimes about how we have lived longer with each other than with anyone else.

On this my husband's birthday, if you could look into my mind and read it you would see that I can honestly say that I would rather be with Bobby and Christ on this journey living one day at a time than any "Yellowbrick Road" that Hollywood could ever imagine.

You can keep your Emerald City, Yellowbrick Road, Munchkins, and Rainbow in OZ and I'll stay right here in the hills of TN with my "birthday boy."




1 comment:

  1. Such a great post! I can't even begin to tell you the number of times Barrett and I have talked about your's and Coach Sharp's relationship...it is so special. Such a wonderful living testament of what a Christ centered marriage should be. I am thankful God put such a great example right in front of Barrett and me at the beginning of our marriage! Tell Coach Sharp Happy Birthday! Love you both so much!

    ReplyDelete